The City of London

It’s estimated that up to 500,000 people commute in and out of the City every day. And we also attract over 10 million visits as tourists every year. 

 

The City of London


Often referred to as the Square Mile, the City of London is one of the most iconic and historic parts of London. It’s a fast-paced environment that’s on the move 24/7. It’s estimated that up to 500,000 people commute in and out of the City every day. And we also attract over 10 million visits as tourists every year. 

We are home to 24,000 businesses, but it might surprise you to learn that 99% of these are SMEs. The other 1% are some the world’s biggest global brands and these provide over 50% of the City’s jobs. It is estimated that 10% of London’s total workforce are employed in the City. But it’s not just about the working environment. The City of London is also responsible for over 11,000 acres of green space. We cram a lot into our small borough.

As the governing body of the Square Mile the City of London Corporation works to deliver against three key aims:

  • Contribute to a flourishing society
  • Shape outstanding environments
  • Support a thriving economy

Read more in our corporate plan and visit the City of London Corporation website.

Inset Image